Newmont Goldcorp Canada
Newmont is the world’s leading gold company and a producer of copper, silver, zinc and lead. The Company’s world-class portfolio of assets, prospects and talent is anchored in favorable mining jurisdictions in North America, South America, Australia and Africa. Newmont is the only gold producer listed in the S&P; 500 Index and is widely recognized for its principled environmental, social and governance practices. The Company is an industry leader in value creation, supported by robust safety standards, superior execution and technical proficiency. Newmont was founded in 1921 and has been publicly traded since 1925.
- Reports directly to Manager, Process Operations and Asset Management.
- Supervises Mill Operations and Metallurgical teams.
- Replaces Mill Manager if required.
- Located at the Porcupine site in Timmins Ontario Canada.
The Superintendent provides leadership to the Mill Operations and Metallurgical teams, as well as:
- Ensures the safe and efficient operation of the crushing plants, mill, refinery, and tailings facilities to meet or exceed safety, production, costs and recovery targets.
- Ensures compliance with all applicable safety and environmental regulations, company policies and standards, as well as with the Cyanide Code.
- Participates in the budget development, reserves and business planning processes.
- Ensures targets are set, communicated, and monitored for performance. Re-aligns team as required to achieve targets.
- Identifies and implements continuous improvement initiatives.
- Works collaboratively with Union to maintain Collective Agreement.
Safety and Environmental Compliance:
- Responsible for the monitoring and improvement of safety performance for employees and contractors working in the crushing plants, mill, refinery, and tailing facilities.
- Responsible for ensuring the crushing plants, mill, refinery, and tailing facilities remain in compliance with the Ontario Occupational Health and Safety Act, applicable Environmental Regulations, the Cyanide Code, and Company Policies and Standards.
- Responds to emergency situations and unusual operating conditions to ensure the safety of personnel and limit potential negative impacts on production, environment and costs.
- Responsible for maintaining a high standard of housekeeping in all areas within the crushing plants, mill, refinery and tailing areas.
- Promotes and monitors the utilization of the change management process to ensure the safe design and implementation of changes.
- Participates in the hiring process for both staff and bargaining unit employees within the department to ensure that new hires have the skills, qualifications and competencies required of them to become a contributing member of the mill team.
- Sets objectives and development plans for reports, coaches and periodically reviews performance.
- Ensure that employees are kept informed of safety, production, and cost performance statistics, to encourage growth and participation in potential improvements to each KPI.
- Participates in the Progressive Discipline Process and grievance procedures as required. Ensures compliance with the CBA.
Planning and Operational Excellence:
- Participates in the budgeting, reserves, and business planning processes.
- Monitors key performance indicators and implement changes to correct unsatisfactory performance.
- Plans and implements strategies to maximize gold production at minimum operating costs.
- Responsible for ensuring all metallurgical accounting functions are accurately completed while ensuring data integrity, traceability and transparency of the process.
- Leads team through the proper project management processes and change management processes.
- Ensure the operation has the required level of technical support for troubleshooting of operational problems, or for operational enhancements/excellence.
The above duties and responsibilities are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
Training & Experience
- A recognized University Degree in Mineral Processing or Chemical Engineering.
- Other education and training may be considered.
- 8 to 10 years of experience in mineral processing, of which a minimum of 3 years must be in a production environment. Gold processing experience is an asset.
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in a supervisory role.
- Experience working in a unionized environment is an asset.
Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated high focus on safety and environmental protection.
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work within a multi-disciplinary team environment.
- Continuous improvement mindset, able to identify and implement opportunities for improvement.
- Strong technical background and good working knowledge of milling procedures, methods and mill optimization.
- Demonstrated ability to adapt and strive in a fast paced and high-pressure environment.
- Demonstrated capacity to execute plans and hold self and others accountable for their performance and deliverables.
- Demonstrated ability to creatively solve problems and make sound business decisions.
- Demonstrated strong verbal and written communication skills.
- This position is located at Timmins which is part of our Porcupine Mine in Ontario, Canada.
- If you do not live near Timmins, we will require relocation to the area as this role does work Monday through Friday.
Please enter Job Number 6612 to submit your application (www.goldcorp.com/careers). As an equal opportunity employer, Newmont is committed to diversity, inclusion, and accessibility. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. All properties owned by Porcupine Operations are Tobacco-Free. This includes but is not limited to all buildings, parking lots, vehicles, the surrounding wooded area, roadways, tailings, rehabilitated sites, etc.