Newmont Goldcorp Canada
Newmont is the world’s leading gold company and a producer of copper, silver, zinc and lead. The Company’s world-class portfolio of assets, prospects and talent is anchored in favorable mining jurisdictions in North America, South America, Australia and Africa. Newmont is the only gold producer listed in the S&P; 500 Index and is widely recognized for its principled environmental, social and governance practices. The Company is an industry leader in value creation, supported by robust safety standards, superior execution and technical proficiency. Newmont was founded in 1921 and has been publicly traded since 1925.
This position does not have direct reports and reports to the Sr.
Reclamation Coordinator. The Reclamation Engineer will support Porcupine’s Closure Activities.
- Support compliance with filed Closure Plans associated with a historically active mining camp encompassing some 20 active and inactive operations.
- Work with Project Supervisor to develop and implement closure strategies in accordance with filed Closure Plans and Strategic Business Plans.
- Provide technical support and guidance to mine site where required.
- Assist in establishing a sustainability program to support community acceptance with future land use objectives.
- Assist in managing annual closure budget
- Work with contractors, consultants including Engineer of Records (EOR’s) on closure, tailings and geotechnical issues.
Rehabilitation of Legacy mine properties
- Effectively manage consultants to ensure proper conceptual engineering design and analysis of closure options.
- Work cooperatively with Project Supervisor to manage the development of detailed design, specification and tender forms for rehabilitation projects.
- Routinely inspect rehabilitation projects with Project Supervisor to ensure design and specifications are followed.
- Assist in budgeting and annual planning to ensure effective implementation of rehabilitation projects.
- Assist in the implementation of programs to improve compliance, planning and the permitting process, while maintaining site compliance and safety standards
- Assist and advise Sr. Reclamation Coordinator with Strategic Business Planning and the Asset Retirement Obligation process.
- Work with government agencies to ensure compliance with all applicable closure guidelines.
Management of Closure Plans
- Work with Ministry of Energy, Northern Development & Mines to ensure compliance with all Closure Plans on file.
- Prepare and/or manage the preparation of closure plans or amendments as required and ensure they are submitted in a timely manner.
- Prepare and/or review preparation of annual monitoring reports as required for Closure Plans and ensure they are submitted in a timely manner.
- Work with Environmental Department to ensure Closure Plan monitoring is being completed as described.
Tailings Dam Safety Management
- Routinely inspect all inactive tailings facilities and provide recommendations for maintenance or repairs in accordance with monitoring schedules dictated under filed Closure Plans.
- Coordinate regular dam safety inspections and reviews by qualified geotechnical engineering consultants and implement recommendations as necessary.
- Prepare and review development of operation, maintenance and surveillance manuals for inactive tailings facilities in accordance with regulatory requirements, the Canadian Dam Association, the Mining Association of Canada as well as International Council on Mining and Metals [Global Industry Standard for Tailings Management (GISTM)] and corporate policies.
- Provide technical support to environmental group or other PGM personnel in cases of tailings dam failure and provide follow-up reports to Management, Corporate and regulatory agencies.
Environmental Group Technical Support
- Provide technical support or guidance to site environmental team or other Porcupine personnel where required including emergency spill response.
- The above duties and responsibilities are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
Education, Training & Experience
- 2 years in the mining industry or related experience with comprehensive exposure to mine closure rehabilitation, permitting, and compliance issues.
- Exposure to geotechnical engineering.
- Must be able to take a practical approach to environmental management.
- Demonstrate ability to lead and maintain positive working relationships
- Exposure to technical roles within set project limits as well as various contractors and consultants.
- Experience overseeing and working closely with contractors in a demanding operational or project environment.
- Experience and competence in multi-issue, complex problem identification and resolution is crucial. The ability to access, assimilate and interpret data is necessary.
- Effective communication skills.
- Ability to interact with internal staff and external agencies and consultants.
- Ability to manage a wide variety of projects and timelines to meet tight time restraints.
- B.Sc. in Geotechnical/Environmental Engineering or other related Engineering field.
- Licensed or registered as Engineer in Training with Professional Engineers Ontario
- The ability to work with and lead multi-disciplinary teams.
Please enter Job Number 12364 to submit your application (www.goldcorp.com/careers). As an equal opportunity employer, Newmont is committed to diversity, inclusion, and accessibility. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. All properties owned by Porcupine Operations are Tobacco-Free. This includes but is not limited to all buildings, parking lots, vehicles, the surrounding wooded area, roadways, tailings, rehabilitated sites, etc.