Interested in a career at Langara College?
Our employees exemplify Langara's values of excellence, collegiality, innovation and integrity. If you think this position fits your qualifications, we encourage you to apply!
Lang ara College is located in Vancouver, B.C.: applicants to postings must be located in BC or willing to move to BC to accept work with Langara College. Exceptions to this will be clearly outlined in the event Langara College requires work (or positions to be based) to be performed outside BC or Canada.
Current employee? Apply through Careers in your Workday account.
Regular (Fixed Term)
Wednesday, September 1 2021
Friday, September 30 2022
Langara Library is seeking a librarian for a full-time one-year term position, starting September 2021. Our new team member will serve as the Subject Librarian for five programs (Aboriginal Studies, Canadian Studies, Classical Studies, History, and LEAP, the College’s intensive ESL program) and lead the College’s copyright and open education committees.
Working with the reference and instruction teams, this position will provide reference and research support services, teach library classes, and serve as a liaison to several instructional departments.
snəw̓eyəɬ leləm̓ - Langara College is a teaching-focused community college committed to providing accessible, affordable, high quality education. The ideal candidate brings a student-centered approach to academic librarianship and views this work through a social justice lens.
Consider applying if you have a strong commitment to reference and library instruction, as well as enthusiasm for working with faculty and students.
Duties and Responsibilities
Our new team member will :
- Provide cross-disciplinary reference services , online and in person (pending public health recommendations)
- Plan and deliver information literacy instruction for the ir subject areas
- Assist with collections management activities for the ir subject areas as needed
- Facilitate the College’s copyright management program
- Respond to copyright questions from students, staff, and faculty
- Offer professional development sessions for instructors and course-embedded copyright instruction for students in a number of academic programs
- Work closely with the Copyright Technician to obtain permissions and licenses for copyrighted materials and ensure legal use of copyrighted content
- Work closely with the College Copyright Officer (Director, Library & Learning Commons ) on matters related to College policy and procedures
- Communicate copyright developments to the College community Lead Open Langara, the College’s open education committee and community of practice
- Respond to open education questions from students, staff, and faculty
- Provide support for open education projects on campus
- Liaise with external partners on behalf of the College
- Communicate open education developments to the College community
- M aster’s degree from an ALA-accredited program in library or information science
- T wo years related work experience as a professional l ibrarian ( academic libraries preferred) , or an equivalent combination of prior work experiences
Required s kills and experience
- Demonstrated ability to develop and deliver effective and engaging instruction sessions
- Strong working knowledge of Canadian copyright law
- Familiarity with open licensing models (such as Creative Commons), open educational resources, and open educational practice
- Strong interpersonal and intercultural skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to translate complex concepts into easily understood terms
- Strong project management and organizational skills
- Demonstrated initiative, creativity, and problem - solving skills
Salary Range: Salary placement is on Langara instructors’ salary scale in accordance with qualifications and experience.
Sunday, May 16 2021
Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials noted on their resume.
We thank you for your interest in Langara College and taking the time to complete an application. Only complete applications will be reviewed. Internal candidates will be given first consideration. Please be advised that due to the amount of applications received, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.