GEM Health Care Group- Melville Gardens
· The Cook functions as a member of the dietary team under the direction of the Director of Support Services to provide nutritious, attractive meals for the residents and catered activities.
· The Cook will maintain a clean and sanitary environment for meal preparation and consumption.
1. Current food handlers course (or willing to obtain)
2. Experience in long term care an asset
3. Participates in the implementation of organizational goals.
4. Completes tasks following policies and procedures pertaining to safety, environmental and infection control practices, and works in a safe manner so as to protect themselves, their co-workers, and the residents.
Functions as a team member to provide for quality resident care.
6. Is knowledgeable of the All Hazard Emergency Plan and aware of own responsibilities in emergency situations.
7. Maintains confidentiality concerning resident, employee, organizational data, and facility information.
8. Reports to work as scheduled (at the beginning of the shift and at break times.)
9. Cooperates with fellow employees and managers, responds appropriately to supervision , and promotes a positive atmosphere for residents, co- workers, visitors, etc.
10. Acts as a resource for fellow employees and assists in the orientation of new employees.
11. Participates in the process of ongoing self-evaluation, and identifies goals / areas for development on performance appraisals.
12. Participates in relevant continuing education and applies principles that have been learned.
13. Attends meetings as required and has opportunity to participate on committees.
14. Must recognize own level of functioning, and seek direction when necessary. Must be able to follow directions on a daily basis, as well as during emergency situations.
15. Projects a positive professional image.
16. Preparation of nutritious meals and snacks following the Canada Food Guide.
17. Responsible for quality control activities.
18. Prepare food and snacks for special functions as required.
19. Safely and effectively uses dietary equipment while maintaining best sanitary practices.
20. Utilizes food and materials within budget.
21. Ability to adjust to the hours and routines of assigned shifts.
22. Hours of work are in accordance with the collective agreement. Melville Gardens is a 24 hour, 7 day a week operation, therefore hours of work include days, evenings, weekends and holidays.
23. May be required to work overtime.
24. May be required to return to Melville Gardens in emergency situations in which the call-back procedure has to be implemented.
25. Knowledgeable of fire regulations and emergency plan and is aware of their responsibilities in emergency situations
26. Performs other related duties as requested or assigned by the Director of Support Services.
Job Types: Part-time, Casual
- 10 hour shift
- 12 hour shift
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Weekend availability
- Culinary: 1 year (preferred)
- cooking: 1 year (preferred)
- Food Safe, SafeCheck, Food Handler or equivalent (preferred)