Nova Scotia Health Authority
Req ID: 118667
Location: Central Zone, Cole Harbour Place
Department: MHA CZ Cole Harbour Community
Type of Employment: Hourly PT long-assignment (80% FTE) x 1 position(s)
Union Status: Healthcare NSGEU
Posting Closing Date: 31-Jan-22
Applications are accepted until 11:59 PM on the Closing Date.
Nova Scotia Health Authority is the largest provider of health services in Nova Scotia. We are over 22,000 employees who provide health care and support services in hospitals, health centres and community-based programs throughout Nova Scotia.
Nova Scotia Health Authority provides health services to Nova Scotians and some specialized services to Maritimers and Atlantic Canadians.
We operate hospitals, health centres and community-based programs across the province. Our team of health professionals includes employees, doctors, researchers, learners and volunteers that provide the health care or services you may need. This is accomplished across four geographic management zones which are responsible for the operation of acute care health centres and the provision of a variety of inpatient, outpatient services including academic, tertiary, quaternary care and community based programs and services including continuing care, primary health care, public health, and mental health and addictions.
Reporting to the Health Services Manager, the Psychologist is a member of the interdisciplinary team. The incumbent will collaborate with other members of the team while providing assessment, diagnosis, consultation, and psychotherapy. The ability to conduct both individual and group treatment is required. As well, the incumbent will be required to work collaboratively with family physicians and other service providers and community agencies in the context of providing care. The successful candidate will be required to participate in quality improvement initiatives including peer supervision processes for ongoing clinical development.
- Recognized PhD/PsyD in Clinical Psychology from an accredited university program
- Registered or eligible for registration with the NSBEP
- A minimum of two years relevant clinical experience is preferred
- Preference will be given to those individuals with violence risk assessment training/experience (including the VRAG-R; PCL-R-2) and those with experience in a forensic inpatient setting.
- Formal training and clinical experience in adult mental health
- Formal training and clinical experience in conducting psychological and cognitive assessment and consultation
- Experience and expertise in conducting structured clinical interviews and assessments
- Demonstrated experience and expertise in formulating and implementing treatment plans
- Self directed in his/her practice with an ability to work independently and as an effective member of a multidisciplinary team while dealing with challenging clinical situations and crises
- Demonstrated ability and expertise in developing and presenting education programs to health care professionals and community organizations
- Demonstrated knowledge and skills in program evaluation and clinical research would be an asset
- Experience with the provision of clinical supervision to students from psychology and other mental health disciplines, and willingness to incorporate such responsibilities into work routine
- Capacity and interest to undertake research and program evaluation as part of work responsibilities
- Competencies in other languages an asset, French preferred
- Successful external applicants are required to provide a criminal record check (including Vulnerable Sector Search) to People Services before starting employment and assume any associated costs as a condition of employment
PLEASE NOTE: Applicants relying on education and experience equivalencies must demonstrate such equivalencies in their application. Additionally, candidates will not be considered for an interview if applications are incomplete or are missing information
Hours of Work
Long Assignment, Part Time (80%) Position;
With as soon as possible and an anticipated end date of June 2 2023
Dates are approximate and are subject to change
Some evening work may be required
Psychologist PhD (Candidate Register):
Psychologist PhD (Registered):
$55.8873 - $58.8285 hourly
Thank you for your interest in this position. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Typically interviews are held within three to four weeks of the closing date.
This is a Healthcare bargaining unit - NSGEU position. Preference is given to bargaining unit employees for unionized positions. Employees are encouraged to view their seniority hours and dates in their SuccessFactors online profile. Successful applicants changing unions, bargaining units or employment status, are advised to seek clarification regarding their seniority, benefits, and vacation entitlement and/or usage, prior to accepting the position.
Nova Scotia Health Authority is proud to provide a smoke free and scent free environment. Only online applications are accepted.
Nova Scotia Health Authority (NSHA) is committed to being a workforce that is free of discrimination, values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the people we serve. Our priority groups are Aboriginal People, African Nova Scotians, Persons with Disabilities and Recent Immigrants. Members of these groups are welcome to apply and self-identify if they wish to be considered under our Employment Equity policy.