Canadian National Railway
At CN everyday brings new and exciting challenges. You can expect an interesting environment where you’re part of making sure our business is running optimally and safely―helping keep the economy on track. We provide the kind of paid training and opportunities that long-term careers are built on and we recognize hard workers who strive to make a difference. You will be able to thrive in our close-knit, safety-focused culture working together as ONE TEAM. The careers we offer are meaningful because the work we do matters. Join us!
Assistant Track Supervisors are responsible for track inspection and repairs as well as replacing rails, ties, switches and ballasts in their assigned territory.
**The chosen candidate will be on a 8 day on/6 day off schedule**
Critical performance areas include the following but may vary depending on location and circumstances:
- Manage transportation operations, including compliance with safe work procedures and practices as well as deliver a high level of productivity and customer service.
- Lead people with clear direction and goals and provide coaching and guidance to employees through regular monitoring of employee performance.
- Apply collective agreement(s) and company policies when carrying out their duties, including managing and coaching employees, conducting investigations, recommending corrective action, and responding to grievances.
- Manage budgets and workforce productivity within CN policy and its Five Guiding Principles.
- Irregular hours, including nights, weekends and holidays.
- Combination of office work and working outdoors in varying weather and environmental conditions.
- May be relocated if necessary.
- Meet deadlines, interface with senior management.
- Travel for company business, at times without advance notice.
- Respond to unexpected or emergency situations.
Successful candidates will participate in an intense, several months training program during which we will teach them how to inspect track and instruct them on all technical aspects of the role. We have designed a program incorporating classroom training coupled with hands-on field training. Our theoretical training may take place away from home. Successful completion of the training program is mandatory in order to work as an Assistant Track Supervisor.
- Experience in supervising a unionized workforce.
- Proven track record in troubleshooting and problem solving.
- Demonstrated history/ experience in safety compliance.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Predictable, reliable attendance.
- High school diploma or equivalent General Education Diploma (GED).
- Relevant work experience in similar working conditions or regulatory/safety environment.
- Experience managing budgets.
- Labour relations experience, i.e. interpretation of collective agreements, response to grievances, negotiations with union representatives, discipline, etc.
- Training or certification in a Railroad Operating Signals
- Post-secondary education.
- Basic computer skills.
The ideal candidate profile:
- Energetic, ability to work autonomously, adapt rapidly to changing circumstances and situations and manage stressful situations.
- Collaborative and team-oriented, can motivate others to achieve set objectives and maintains positive interactions.
- Good leadership skills - manage, mentor, coach.
- Is results-focused, gives clear directions and prioritizes daily tasks.
- Excellent English verbal, reading comprehension and writing skills.
- Dedicated to getting the job done while meeting established standards of quality, safety and client satisfaction.
- Understand and apply safety standards, policies and procedures, collective agreements as well as Operating Rules.
As a leading North American transportation and logistics company, CN is a true backbone of the economy. With a team of approximately 25,000 railroaders, our focus is on moving both our company and the economy forward. We transport US$200 billion worth of goods annually for a wide range of business sectors from resource to manufactured products to consumer goods, across a 20,000-mile network spanning Canada and mid-America. CN is the only Canadian company listed in the Transportation and Transportation Infrastructure sector of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI). Launched in 1999, the DJSI World represents the gold standard for corporate sustainability. At CN, we work as ONE TEAM, focused on safety, sustainability and our customers, providing operational and supply chain excellence to deliver results.
**Effective November 1, 2021, CN requires that all employees in Canada be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide proof thereof as a condition of employment. The Company’s vaccination mandate extends to employees of our wholly owned subsidiaries as well as CN’s contractors, consultants, agents and suppliers and anyone who accesses CN properties in Canada.**