Requisition ID: 134472
Join a purpose driven winning team, committed to results, in an inclusive and high-performing culture.
Contributes to the overall success of the Legal Department in Canada ensuring specific individual goals, plans, initiatives are executed / delivered in support of the team's business strategies and objectives. Ensures all activities conducted are in compliance with governing regulations, internal policies and procedures.
The individual in this position is responsible for dealing with a broad range of legal matters related to Retail and Commercial Banking, including estates and trusts matters and Powers of Attorney, as well as third party demands and orders.
• Champions a customer focused culture to deepen client relationships and leverage broader Bank relationships, systems and knowledge.
• Provides support and advice to various stakeholder groups within the Bank, on wide variety of issues relating to retail and commercial matters and complaint escalations, including estates matters, suspected financial abuse, vulnerable/senior customer issues, operation and set up of trusts, use of Powers of Attorney and registered and locked-in plans.
• Reviews and provides guidance relating to Third Party demands and orders including freezing orders, garnishments, restitution orders, Bankruptcy Notices, and Orders from the Public Guardian & Trustee.
• Monitors legal developments in relation to Estates as well as Third Party Orders.
• Provide support to the Legal Department’s new initiative (NIRA) process.
• Knowledgeable about and able to communicate with on as needed basis with relevant government departments (i.e., Public Guardian & Trustee, Canada Revenue Agency, Sherriff Departments).
• Understands how the Bank's risk appetite and risk culture should be considered in day-to-day activities and decisions.
• Actively pursues effective and efficient operations of his/her respective areas in accordance with Scotiabank's Values, its Code of Conduct and the Global Sales Principles, while ensuring the adequacy, adherence to and effectiveness of day-to-day business controls to meet obligations with respect to operational, compliance, AML/ATF/sanctions and conduct risk.
• Champions a high-performance environment and contributes to an inclusive work environment.
• Primarily provides domestic support
• Responsible for responding to internal clients and external counsel as required
• Able to deal with a wide variety of external stakeholders including government departments and third-party lawyers
• Relies on sound judgment
Education I Experience
Law Clerk 's certificate
Bachelor of Arts Degree
At least 5 years related experience preferably from a large law firm or other financial institution
Location(s): Canada : Ontario : Toronto
Scotiabank is a leading bank in the Americas. Guided by our purpose: ''for every future'', we help our customers, their families and their communities achieve success through a broad range of advice, products and services, including personal and commercial banking, wealth management and private banking, corporate and investment banking, and capital markets.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance, please click here. Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.